Monday, April 14, 2008

All Good Things Must Come to an End…

With less than 2 weeks left in this amazing city, I am starting to feel the end of the semester approaching. It’s an interesting feeling, living in a foreign city for so long and traveling through-out the world and then all of a sudden it comes to an end, and reality comes back into play.

This semester abroad has been life-changing for me. I think everyone needs to do this in their lifetime. For me, going abroad was scary and uncomfortable. But I forced myself to do it and I have no regrets at all. I have accomplished so many life-long goals that I never thought I would do in my lifetime. My dreams became reality this semester, beginning in Southern Spain then traveling through Rome, Athens, Santorini, Paris, Istanbul, and Morocco. I have wanted to go to these places since I could remember but for some reason in my mind I thought I would never get there, and I got there in less than four months!

In terms of architecture, I can’t really think of a better European city to study it in. Barcelona is sort of like a package deal. In one city there are old Roman ruins, Gothic churches, Gaudi’s art nouveau, and then extremely modern buildings. It’s so enjoyable to study all the different types of architecture that Barcelona has to offer.

There are so many things I will miss about Barcelona. Lets look at a few!

Mistral:
I still remember my first visit like it was yesterday, one chocolate croissant! I probably go about 4-5 times a week, and sometimes multiple times a day. It’s that good and that cheap! I suggest the zumo de naranja (orange juice) as well.

BCNeta:
Barcelona’s amazing trash/clean-up service! These guys clean the streets at 3 in the morning and always seem happy. They keep the city looking beautiful!

Prostitutes & Transvestites:
What am I going to do when I get back to DC and don’t have the entertainment that I have when I leave studio here? I will miss seeing inappropriate things happening in the corner of the hospital across from studio and seeing guys trying to hop over the fence with the prostitutes. It always makes my day to see such desperate people take such drastic measures!

La Veronica:
If you are not homophobic, go eat the amazing pizza at this trendy restaurant in Raval. Great food and gay people unite here at cheap prices.


Barcelonetta:
You get great bars (such as the Champagneria), great seafood and the be
ach all in one! If I move back to Barcelona... I'm living here!






No comments: