Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Reverse Culture Shock... IT"S REAL!

I have been home for about 4 days now, and believe it or not, but reverse culture shock really does exist! When I pass people on the street, I expect to hear a foreign language spoken. I can't stop trying to dress nice either! I mean, in Europe I didn't want to stand out as a poorly dressed American, so I tried to look my best all the time. And I'm continuing to do that here, which might actually be a good thing. The plumbing is so different too, I keep forgetting that the flusher on the toilet is not a button on top of the toilet anymore! Doors here swing out, not in. And handycap accessible buildings are alive and well in America! Ordering at a restaurant is all of sudden not an adventure of not knowing what exactly your ordering, but rather boring. And worst of them all, those of us under 21 can no longer drink whenever we would like!

I miss Barcelona very much already, but I have plans on visiting next summer after graduation.

So long for now, Barcelona... I will be back :)

1 comment:

Adrienne Jenkins said...

Lindsay. I know what you mean about the reverse culture shock. Grocery shopping was difficult, the lack of a decent loaf of bread or a pleasant cup of coffee. Congratulations on your internship. I enjoy reading your posts. I would encourage you to update your blog even if it's only once a week with what you're learning at your new job.